Monday, April 27, 2015

The Old Farmer's Almanac Was Right

I recently went thumbing through my copy of the Farmer's Almanac to see what it said about rain in my region. You see, it's been raining a lot this spring. I could probably count on my two hands the number of really nice days we've had in the last couple of months. Our country neighbor was telling us that the old timers said this has been the wettest spring in 17 years. I believe it.

Water levels of the pond have concerned us since we bought the property. We have such sandy soil, and supposedly the people who had the pond built were told it wasn't a good location for it. Soil wise, no, but view wise, it was. So they built. While I haven't been thrilled that it's been such a wet spring for my own activities, I am beyond thrilled at what it's done for the pond.

Here is what the pond looked like our first full summer.





Here is what it looked like this weekend. The overflow pipe was actually covered, and there was water draining out the back of the berm.

taken from the cabin side, looking down the narrow end


the tiny white speck is the overflow tube


the ground was mucky and The Aussie got bogged
This makes me unbelievably happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment